I want to start out by sharing something I came across recently. I read a post called “To Wives, Before You Were Mommy‘” by Becky Thompson, that really touched my heart and had me thinking about the effort I may or may not be putting into my marriage now that we are new parents. Becky says it very clearly that before we were a mother to our child(ren), we were wives to our husbands, and the men too were husbands before they were fathers. It is important for us to remember this man. To remember that we are his wife. We need to remember how much we love and cherish him. How hard working he is, and how when he comes home from a long, demanding day at work he is right in there helping us with the child(ren). I urge you to go and have a read of this article. It will put everything back into perspective. We all need the little reminder every now and then.
So to remember where this little family all began, I wanted to share with you eight date ideas for you and your partners that are easy, cheap and require little planning. Because, lets face it, our money is spent on the child(ren) and who really has the time to just gaze into each others eyes anymore.
- Pull out your mattress or a spare to put in the living room. Gather all your extra pillows and blankets. Snuggle up to your favourite movie or TV show. We like to have chocolate and strawberries on hand, but any easy, but naughty snack will do.
- Cook dinner together, then set up the table with your ‘classy’ dinnerware. Candles add a little more romance to the mood, so I always like to add a few. Maybe some mellow music too? If the weather is nice, you could even do this in the back courtyard under the stars.
- Play a game together. Board game, card game, whatever you fancy. Maybe not monopoly though, it could get interrupted.
- Pamper yourselves! Set up a hot bubble bath with your favourite candles and drinks. Nothing more relaxing than a conversation or two over some bubbly.
- Exchange foot massages. Use that massage oil that just sits in your cupboard gathering dust. I can get very ticklish, so a back rub might do the trick.
- Have a double date. Invite friends to bring the take out over and share some time in your home. It’s always refreshing to catch up with the outside world or even just to converse with some other adults.
- Take a packed picnic to the park while your little one naps in the pram beside you. Some delicious cheeses, breads, dips and crackers. Do I need to say more?
- And lastly, turn all your devices and gadgets off. Except perhaps the baby monitor. Just spend time together without any distractions. I like to call this a blackout night. Just you and your husband. Don’t invite the whole Facebook, Instagram and Twitter community. They can wait!
If you’ve gone and made the time to have one of these dates, let me know. I’d love to hear how it may have helped in remembering who you both were before you had your child(ren).